Information about some venues which performers can rent and keep the door. I’m sure there are more than this, so please tell me about others in the comments.
Outpost 186 – 186 Hampshire St Cambridge MA (Inman Sq)
- Size: small room (55 legal capacity, but about 30 with the chairs used). A/C
- Backline: decent upright Yamaha piano, small PA, some random mics/cables/stands (bring your own to make sure if you need several or are picky), dimmable stage can lights.
- Cost: currently $75 (as of 2016) for an evening’s rental, or $50/ea for a series of three or more events.
- Access starting at ~6:30pm
- Door usually at 8pm unless you specify otherwise
- Must be finished and out by 11pm
- Read the OUTPOST PRODUCER’S HANDBOOK for other details – You must read this before you produce a show @ Outpost!
- CONTACT: Rob Chalfen, director: email@example.com
Out of The Blue Art Gallery, 106 Prospect Street, Cambridge MA (between Inman & Central Sq)
- Small room containing various amounts of art on display.
- “Renting Gallery Space: Out of the Blue invites all artists and members of the local community to rent the space for functions. The gallery comfortably sits about 40 people, but has accommodated up to 60. Some of our events have included birthday parties, mime theater, puppet shows, belly dancing lessons, Celtic music, and the list grows. What’s your idea? Call Tom or Deborah at (617)354-5287 and describe your event.”
The Lily Pad, 1353 Cambridge St, Cambridge MA (Inman Sq)
- 50-60 or more capacity
- Backline: grand piano, drum kit, guitar/bass amps, very nice PA, variable mics/cables/stands
- Beer and wine service
- “To book an event: email firstname.lastname@example.org, please include a link to your music and/or a description. If you want to leave me a voice message call (617) 395-1393, I only sporadically check this voicemail though.” Price for rental last time I checked was $150 for half a weekend night (7-9:45pm or 9:45pm-1am). There is a booker filling individual slots on some nights: Emily – email@example.com 917-553-4991
Arlington Center for the Arts, 41 Foster St, Arlington MA (off Mass Ave. between the Capitol Theatre and Arlington Center)
- Theatre capacity 150-175, chairs available. Floor plan here. Raised stage, tiered audience area.
- Basic PA available for an extra charge, bring your own long cables (no snake) and mics/stands. long AC extension cords.
- Website states rental is $35/hr for events, but if you are presenting a concert you can apply to be part of their “Performing Artist Series” and pay $75 for an entire evening of use.
- Caveats: while this venue is easily accessible by bus from Cambridge, it is not a location familiar to most music club-goers so you will need to do good PR to attract an audience.
- Theater Rental Inquiry: “Questions? Want to schedule a tour or inquire about particular dates? Please contact Pam Shanley by email. Tours are by appointment only”
The following venues require a much more significant guarantee, but if you have a good draw you may want to check them out:
Club Oberon, 2 Arrow St, Cambridge MA (Harvard Sq)
- Oberon is the second stage of Harvard’s American Repetory Theatre, run as a cabaret-type black box room with small stage plus multiple levels.
- Full bar, full light and sound crew.
- You must apply to book a show, and if accepted must guarantee to bring in a minimum of $1500 in bar sales, or else make up the remainder from your door $ or your own pocket if that is insufficient.
- “For OBERON programming and booking inquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org with as many details as possible.”
Regent Theatre, 7 Medford St, Arlington MA (Arlington Center)
- A 500-seat movie theatre which also hosts many live music concerts.
- Full light and sound – see specs here.
- I don’t know what a rental costs – if you can fill a house this size, contact them: Rental inquiries
The Somerville Theatre, 55 Davis Sq, Somerville MA (Davis Sq)
- another movie theater – a 900 seat main auditorium with full theatrical stage and orchestra pit, used for music, theatre and dance performances.
- light and sound must be contracted from independent vendors
- details here.
- “For information on renting the main theatre space at the Somerville Theatre, please email: ian Judge, Director of Operations for FEI Theatres: email@example.com. Please use “Somerville Theatre” as your subject line or your email may be discarded accidentally.”