A reminder/notice to new followers: in addition to this blog I also have a What Betty Knows Facebook page where I post additional tidbits that are useful but not necessarily complex enough to require a full blog post. Follow/”Like” me there (and also check “get notifications”) to catch extra tips like these:
How to Avoid Reposting Urban Legends
You’ve seen the emails and Facebook posts from your friends:
- OMG – this famous actor just died!
- Please take these actions to protect my Facebook privacy.
- Watch out for this new computer virus!!!
- A friend of a friend woke up in the bathtub with his kidney missing!!!!!
Frequently followed by a request to repost/forward to all of your friends.
But before you do that, take this step in order to avoid passing on an Urban Legend:
When you create an event on Facebook, presumably you
- Want people to pay attention and attend, plus
- Want others to know that their friends are attending so they might consider it as well.
But failing to title your event in a specific way may sabotage its visibility!
A few months ago I posted my research on what types of Facebook posts are allowed to be seen by more of your Page’s fans without your being forced to pay Facebook. Since Facebook frequently changes how they treat your posts I just did another quick experiment with posts to my band Ginger Ibex‘s Page to see whether my prior conclusion still holds.
Here’s the result: